They say who you become in ten years is determined by the books you read the people you meet. The sad thing is many people don’t care who they meet, and even more people don’t read books!
In my walk with God, every season there is something the Lord is trying to teach me. Each time he tried to teach me something he always led me to a book or a person.
Below are the list of books, broken down by the season I was in, and what I was learning. I added what I learned from that season and how it helped shape my life, and potentially yours! Lastly, included are the Kindle Amazon links to each book so you can easily read it yourself when you get hungry for more.
How to Read A Book
How to Read a Book (A Touchstone Book) Revised Edition, Kindle Edition by Charles Van Doren (Read here)
This is kind of a funny book, but it helped me read books super fast, and digest all the information I needed to learn. I read this book before I started reading all the other ones.
The Lord has a plan and a purpose for each of us. But our identity isn’t based on what we do but who we are. These books helped me understand that. They can help you if you’re wondering if the Lord loves you during every trial, circumstance, and stage of your life.
- The Supernatural Ways of Royalty: Discovering Your Rights and Privileges of Being a Son or Daughter of God by Kris Vallotton , Bill Johnson (Read here)
- Boundaries Updated and Expanded Edition: When to Say Yes, How to Say No To Take Control of Your Life by Henry Cloud and John Townsend (Read here)
- Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren’t by Henry Cloud and John Townsend (Read here)
- After God’s Own Heart: The Key to Knowing and Living God’s Passionate Love for You by Mike Bickle (Read here)
- Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man’s Soul by John Eldredge (Read here)
- Studies on the Song of Solomon by Mike Bickle (Read here)
- The Sacred Journey: God’s Relentless Pursuit of Our Affection (The Passion Translation) by Brian Simmons (Read here)
For years I struggled with remaining pure and set apart for the Lord. I would always give myself to other women and vices. These books taught me the importance of holiness and radically transformed my life.
- Boundaries in Dating: How Healthy Choices Grow Healthy Relationships by Henry Cloud and John Townsend (Read here)
- Moral Revolution: The Naked Truth About Sexual Purity by Kris Vallotton , Jason Vallotton (Read here)
- Nazirite DNA by Lou Engle (Read here)
- Studies on the Sermon on the Mount by Mike Bickle (Read here)
Prayer and the Holy Spirit
I’ve always been aware of the spiritual things of life. However, learning what was biblical and not biblical, was definitely a long hard road. These books helped me understand scripturally what it means to hear God’s voice and listen to the Holy Spirit. WIthout these books, I definitely would not be able to operate so closely to the Spirit as I do now.
- Basic Training for the Prophetic Ministry Expanded Edition by Kris Vallotton (Read here)
- Unlocking the Bible by David Pawson (Read here)
- Growing In The Prophetic: A practical biblical guide to dreams, visions, and spiritual gifts by Mike Bickle (Read here)
- The Seer Expanded Edition: The Prophetic Power of Visions, Dreams and Open Heavens by James W. Goll (Read here)
These books changed my life, just like all the other books I listed! But these books taught me how to lead. There’s a difference between living life for yourself, and living life for the greatness of other people. Through these books I learned one of my greatest joys – to see people exceed far greater than they thought they ever could.
- The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership: Follow Them and People Will Follow You
by John C. Maxwell (Read here)
- The 5 Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential by John C. Maxwell (Read here)
- Developing the Leaders Around You: How to Help Others Reach Their Full Potential
by John C. Maxwell (Read here)
- The 360 Degree Leader: Developing Your Influence from Anywhere in the Organization by John C. Maxwell (Read here)
- Chase the Lion: If Your Dream Doesn’t Scare You, It’s Too Small by Mark Batterson (Read here)
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey (Read here)
I definitely needed to learn about this subject. Marriage has been, by far, the most challenging revelation God has given me. To love someone all the time like Jesus, regardless of how you are feeling, or what you are doing, needs a lot of Holy Spirit, and ‘new creation’ strength! These books helped me get there, and still trying to get there more everyday!
- Love and Respect: The Love She Most Desires; The Respect He Desperately Needs by Emerson Eggerichs PhD (Read here)
- The 4 Seasons of Marriage by Gary Chapman (Read here)
- The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary Chapman (Read here)
After marriage, my journey began with understanding Global Missions. This is one of the greatest learning curves I have ever had outside of relationships and identity. These teachings helped me wrap my head and heart around the Great Commission, and how to be successful in fulfilling it. Definitely a long way to go! A giant topic that will take the rest of my life to fully grasp! Much like the other topics!
- T4T: A Discipleship Re-Revolution by Steve Smith (Read here)
- The Heavenly Man: The Remarkable True Story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun by Paul Hattaway (Read here)
- 777: Finishing the Great Commission together by David Hamilton (Read here)
- Finish the Mission: Bringing the Gospel to the Unreached and Unengaged
by John Piper , David Mathis (Read here)
- 4 Fields – Church Planting Movements (Read here)
- Why Not Women? by Loren Cunningham, David Joel Hamilton (Read here)
- Ten Lies The Church Tells Women: How the Bible Has Been Misused to Keep Women in Spiritual Bondage by J Lee Grady (Read here)
Hungry for More?
These are just some of the books I have read that have changed my life. Of course I am always growing and in need of more books and people to learn from! If you want to learn more about some of these topics you can visit my podcast and other teachings I have personally created myself. Many of them inspired by the books I have just listed!